Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Differentiation, Ch. 10, pg. 312

Once I read the example of the physician that recognizes that there is no medical care offered on weekends in the community and decides to address that need, it made me think about what I believe is becoming a new trend. This trend I speak of is a way for physicians to differentiate themselves from other traditional physicians. What I have noticed that more doctors are starting to offer is “concierge” –style practices as quoted in the MedScape Today’s article titled Boutique Doctors Cater to Patients' Needs. These boutique doctors offer special services such as being available at all hours for medical advice, prescriptions or same day appointments at an added extra cost out of pocket to the patient above the insurance cost. This allows for the doctors to have fewer patients to focus on. My husband’s primary doctor changed his practice to a boutique one. Although, my husband liked his doctor, he didn’t feel it was worth the thousands of dollars extra to keep him as his primary physician. Therefore, he was forced to change doctors. Soon after my husband received the announcement of his doctor’s change in practice, I received a letter from my primary doctor offering similar services. However, she is still keeping half of her practice traditional with no added cost. Fortunately, for me she kept part of the practice traditional because I did not have to make the choice of changing physicians. I like having a physician whom I’ve built a rapport with.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Tina! Your example is very interesting and it's a good example regarding differentiation. Probably, I could apply the doctors' ideas. If the doctors can be concierge or boutique doctors, why can't teachers (my job) be concierge teachers? I think teaching is sometimes like a "service business," so if we could implement the concierge style approach, it would be an ultimate educational service. (Maybe someone has done this already, but I don't know.) Nowadays, not only medical business but also educational business is getting competitive, so this idea would get high popularity sooner or later.

    p.s., Tina, thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete